As a cat owner, you are probably wondering why your cat only licks wet food and leaves the dry food untouched? This is a common question that many cat owners have asked themselves. I did a quick research and here’s what I know:
Why Does My Cat Only Lick Wet Food? Cats usually lick wet food if they are dehydrated or have dental problems. Sometimes they also lick wet food because it is more flavorful compared to dry food.
Cats display natural habits of smelling and licking foods before they eat, as wet food is more flavorful they typically lick it more often than other food types.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Why Cats Only Lick Wet Food Instead Of Eating It?
- 2 My Cat Licks Food Instead Of Eating, Does That Indicate Dental Problems?
- 3 How Often Should I Feed My Cat Wet Food?
- 4 Where Should I Store Wet Or Dry Foods For Cats?
- 5 5 Reasons Why Cat Owners Should Serve Wet Food Over Hard Food
- 6 Did I Answer Everything You Want To Know Why Does My Cat Only Lick Wet Food?
Why Cats Only Lick Wet Food Instead Of Eating It?
Here are a few tricks to make your cat eat wet food instead of just licking it:
- Keep your cat hydrated: provides a bowl of water to your cat before you feed them wet food. When a cat gets dehydrated, it will lick wet food instead of eating it. So it’s better to make your cat hydrated first, before you provide them with wet food to eat.
- Mix dry food with wet food: Cats will stop licking wet food when you mix it with dry food. The dry food will absorb all the water /flavors from the wet food, so there will be no leftover moisture to lick.
Many cats find dry food more difficult to digest than wet food and may not be able to ingest the full amount of nutrients their body needs.
My Cat Licks Food Instead Of Eating, Does That Indicate Dental Problems?
If your cat only licks food instead of eating, it may indicate dental disease such as dental gingivitis, periodontitis etc.
It is not uncommon for cats to lick their food instead of eating it. When you watch your cat eat, you may notice that it does not chew or swallow the food. This can be a sign of dental problems which could lead to severe health issues in the future if left untreated.
How Often Should I Feed My Cat Wet Food?
You can feed your cat wet food every day, if your cat likes to eat the same food everyday. However, it is not necessary to feed your cat wet food regularly, you can feed wet food for three days per week and the other four days you can alter with other food types. Sometimes too much wet food in your cats diet can make them fatten up faster.
If you feed your cat too much wet food they will probably drink less water, but don’t worry too much about it, as wet food is enough to keep your cat hydrated. However, make sure they at least have a little water each day to keep them fully hydrated.
Where Should I Store Wet Or Dry Foods For Cats?
It’s best to keep both types of cat food separately in two different bowls preferably (one for each type). This way there won’t be any cross-contamination between the two types of foods which could lead to an upset stomach for cats when ingested by a fussy eater. Keep one set at room temperature and another in the refrigerator just like with human leftovers!
5 Reasons Why Cat Owners Should Serve Wet Food Over Hard Food
Dry food for cats is an excellent option, but there are some benefits of wet food that might make you want to switch. Here are 5 reasons why you should serve wet food over dry food:
- Wet food is more appealing to cats than dry food and can help them eat a healthier diet.
- Cats need the moisture in wet cat food because they have limited thirst drive.
- Dry food can increase the risk of constipation and urinary tract inflammation.
- Dry cat foods contain less water, which means that the kitty will probably drink out of your toilet bowl or litter box. Wet cat foods offer hydration without having to rely on drinking from other sources.
- When you serve hard foods, it’s harder for cats to get all their nutrients (especially important for kittens), therefore it’s better to mix hard food with wet food.
Did I Answer Everything You Want To Know Why Does My Cat Only Lick Wet Food?
Cat’s licks wet food if they have dental or other medical problems but sometimes they also lick food because they love to do it. One way to stop this behavior is by using a water spray bottle with every meal, so when your cat tries to lick his dish he gets sprayed in the face as a sign of bad behavior. You can try this trick for a few weeks, to help your cat understand they should not lick food.
If none of the above-explained methods works, then it may be time to consult a veterinarian. There could be some other health issues going on with your cats that need attention.